Monday, September 23, 2013

Rising to New Heights with SCALIA

[Streetball’s Finest  – 9.23.13] – Rising to New Heights with SCALIA

Inks: FLASH aka g_sk1lls 
Images: Scalia Nethanial (via email and Facebook)


Over a year ago, we featured one of AND1 Malaysia’s most prominent freestylers – Scalia Nethanial (click HERE for the blog article published July 2012).  He’s back with a vengeance this 2013, and as always – has continued to inspire ballers in his side of Asia.  A local fan favorite who also happens to be half-Filipino, Scalia shared with AND1 Philippines his story behind the RISE video, the current state of freestyle in Malaysia, and more.

Here’s what he has got to say:

Flash: It’s been quite some time since we last heard from you, how’re things there in Malaysia and what have you been doing for the last year?
Scalia: “I continued touring with AND1 until like October 2012.  Was out for 6 months (due to some personal reasons), then AND1 called me, telling me to return at their first event of the 2013 tour, and I did. That was the last time I appeared at an AND1 event. It was on May 2013 at a place called IOI Mall in Puchong.  I slowly left again after because I wanted to try doing my own thing - I was trying to build up my name as a brand. Not that I got bored of AND1 or anything, it's huge here. It's the biggest streetball platform in Malaysia but I wanted to try and succeed on my own.”

Flash: What were some of the events that you joined to build your personal brand?
Scalia: “I just did my own shows. I performed at a couple of other events like Drift events, phone launches, halftime shows & more.”

Flash: What can you say about the present state of basketball freestyling there in Malaysia?
Scalia: "I’m the only freestyler in Malaysia to really put freestyle/streetball on the big stage, and I don't say that in a "braggy" way.  I wish there were more guys doing what I do (here), I’m working hard to not only raise the AND1 Malaysia brand here but also streetball/freestyle as a whole.”

Flash: What are you aiming for as far as freestyling and performing for the general public go?
Scalia: "The goal is to inspire more kids to play this sport. It's healthy and it's really fun. I managed to reach out a lot of kids this year and that's amazing. I love entertaining the kids and putting a smile on their face."


Flash: What else keeps you busy nowadays?
Scalia: “Right now, I’m just working on videos.  I wanna put out more contents on my Youtube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/ScaliaENT).  I recently did a thing called RISE.  I'm also working on another video with Professional Drifters & emcee's right now, that should be great. I have a lot of plans for 2014 as well.

Flash: Tell us more about RISE.  What is it all about?
Scalia: “RISE has a message actually. That whole 6 months that I was gone, I was working my way up from the bottom.  I was rising above every obstacle that was thrown at me.  Right now I feel like I’m in a better position than I was (before).  I thank God for allowing me to continue doing what I love.  It's great that I’m smiling again and streetball/freestyle is the main reason for that smile.

RISE 2013 
(click to play)

Flash: Any planned collaborations with AND1 personalities?
Scalia: “I still contact the AND1 guys.  I’m also working with 1 of them - Viktor a.k.a Blackout. We have this thing going on called 3Nine (https://www.facebook.com/the3nine).  We plan on doing an event for the youth by December 2013 or maybe before March 2014. "

Flash: What does AND1 mean to you as a person and as a freestyler?
Scalia:  “Everything started through AND1.  I LOVE AND1, I live and breathe this brand. One day, I’ll do something big to give back to the brand that helped me. So, thank you AND1, not just AND1 Malaysia but the entire AND1 community.

Flash: Any shout-outs or anything else that you are thankful for?
Scalia:  “Shout-out to you Flash for always covering my stuff and for raising the AND1 name there in the Philippines.  I’m so thankful that i got to work with AND1, I toured to lots of places, had so much fun.

Scalia can be found online via Twitter (@ScaliaNethanial), Facebook fanpage (Facebook.com/RealScalia) and Instagram (@scalianethanial).

More local and international streetball players to be featured soon.  Feel free to send an email to and1pinas@gmail.com for your suggestions on who you want to be featured next.  Don’t forget to LIKE our Facebook fanpage (www.facebook.com/and1ph) and follow us on Twitter (@and1ph).  And that’s the 411, AND Juans!

Behind-the-scenes from the RISE video.

No comments:

Post a Comment