Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Scaling New Heights with SCALIA


[Streetball’s Finest  – 7.31.12] – Scaling New Heights with SCALIA

Inks: FLASH aka g_sk1lls 
Images: Scalia Nethanial (via email and Facebook)

It’s been quite some time since we featured a baller in And1 Ph’s blog series “Streetball’s Finest”, and now we shift the spotlight to one of our Asian streetball family.  I’ve managed to get in touch with Scalia Nethanial aka SCALIA, one of Malaysia’s top freestylers and local fan favorite who also happens to be half-Filipino.  Born in Malaysia but with his mother hailing from Pangasinan, this 17 year old ball-handling phenom was born on December 20, 1994.  


Popular in Malaysia for his freestyling tricks, Scalia was gracious enough to answer some of my questions I sent via his email, and here’s what our fellow AND Juan has got to share:


Flash: How young were you when you 1st started with basketball?  How about with freestyling?
Scalia: “I think I was 8 when my uncle built a hoop at the playground in front of my house. From there, I just kept playing ball. I started playing streetball in 2006 when my brother bought the AND1 Mixtape Tour Asia Pacific DVD. I loved every part of it. The dunks, the dribbles, it was amazing.”


Flash: What are some of the tournaments/leagues/events that you have participated in?
Scalia: “I participated in many basketball events when I was in high school and won a couple of them. My biggest achievement in basketball was probably when I won the biggest streetball event in Malaysia - "AND1 Malaysia In Search Of Streetballer 2010.” I was in tears when they announced my name. Best part about it was "The Professor" (Grayson Boucher) was judging the event. It was a day that I’ll never forget.
I started touring with AND1 Malaysia in 2011. I was also doing commercials with MILO and some other companies. I continued spreading the movement by performing Freestyle Basketball at many places.  Recently, I was invited to perform at a TV show - it was my first live TV appearance. I’m currently with AND1 Malaysia, we tour locally. I can't wait to see what happens from here.”

Scalia (#33) graces a MILO print ad.

Flash: Who are your influences in playing basketball and in freestyling?
Scalia: "Hot Sauce", Allen Iverson, Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant and "The Professor".

Flash: Which AND1 shoe is your personal favorite?
Scalia: “(The) Lo Qi Downtime is my favorite!”

Scalia in the AND1 Downtime Lows.

Flash: What do you think of our local talent, the Flip Ballaz, Ballers Republic, and Styla?
Scalia: “I love Filipino ballers.  1 of my faves is Lil Wizard.  Shoutout to Ballers Republic as well, I’ve seen some of their videos. They're good!”

Flash: Any plans of visiting the Philippines?  Would you consider making a freestyle video with fellow Filipino freestylers?
Scalia: “The last time I was in the Philippines was back in 2007.  I’ve always wanted to go back there, I miss the Philippines so much!  If God wills it, I’ll be going there this December (2012).  Can't promise anything yet though.
(On making a video with Pinoy freestylers) 
YES! I would love to do a video with Lil Wizard (Nino Ventura). "Lets make it happen bro!"

A Scalia - Lil Wizard collab video?  It could happen soon.

Flash: What's in store for your future?  What are your plans as far as basketball and freestyling?
Scalia:  “It has always been the same plan, to continue inspiring (people).  I would also love to tour and perform worldwide 1 day.”

Flash: Any final message/s for your fans across the world and to the Philippines?
Scalia:  “My final message to everyone out there is…"Always continue learning and never limit yourself. Be happy whenever you're doing something you love . Whenever you fall , rise above and conquer because win or lose , the ultimate prize is being able to do it!"”


You can catch Scalia online following him in Twitter (@RealScalia) or thru his Facebook fanpage (Facebook.com/RealScalia).  He also has an Instagram account (scalianethanial).

I’ll try to feature other local and international streetball players soon, and so feel free to send an email to and1pinas@gmail.com for your suggestions on who you want to be featured next.  Please check out and LIKE our Facebook fanpage (www.facebook.com/and1ph) and follow us on Twitter (@and1ph) for more news, spotlights, and the latest updates about the And1 brand in the Philippines.  And that’s the 411, And Juan!

Some Scalia freestyle videos below [click to play]:

..(with some shoutouts from AND1 Philippines' Flash)

No comments:

Post a Comment