Wednesday, December 4, 2013

The Hot Seat with SMOKIN' ACES - Part 1 of 2

[Streetball’s Finest  – 12.4.13] – The Hot Seat with SMOKIN' ACES - Part 1 of 2

Inks: FLASH aka g_sk1lls 
Images: Brian Kortovich (via email and Facebook) / Various (Ben Draper Photography / Kevin Couliau)

The spotlight shifts to a different kind of baller for this month’s  “Streetball’s Finest” feature.  A professional basketball player who has made his name known in one of streetball’s most sacred playgrounds, New York City’s Rucker Park – he is described as a sweet-shooting point guard with excellent playmaking skills.  He is no other than Brian Kortovich aka SMOKIN’ ACES.

Hailing from Cleveland, Ohio, this dead-eye shooter not only caught the attention and adulation of many scouts, players, and coaches from the NBA and the NBA D-League, he was also EBC Rucker Park’s 2012 leading scorer.  Talk about street cred.

2012 EBC scoring champion Brian Kortovich running a play at Rucker Park.

Chasing the dream to make it to the NBA since graduating from college back in 2006, Brian has extensive international experience in play-for-pay hoops, making stops in Kuwait, France, Israel, and the Dominican Republic.  His efforts and work ethics have earned him spots in both the New York Knicks and then New Jersey Nets preseason camps, plus securing a draft selection from the NBA D-League.

Brian (or BK) was kind enough to answer my questions that I sent via his email despite his busy schedule.  Here’s what he has got to share:

Smokin’ Aces: First of all, I want to send my thoughts and prayers to all who have suffered (due to typhoon Yolanda / Haiyan) in any way from the recent events in the Philippines! God Bless the country in the efforts towards recovery!” 

Flash: Who is Smokin’ Aces as a baller / How did you get your nickname (Smokin' Aces)?
Smokin’ Aces: “BK as a Baller is fiery competitor who has a great understanding of the game and who doesn't back down from anybody - often having his best performances when it matters the most.  Can knock down the jumper with the best of them .. NBA or not.  What separates him from most is the fact that not only can he create shots for others but he can also get his shot off at any time.  He's a true leader from the PG position and is very effective in the pick n roll and can run a team at any level.  (see www.briankortovich.com >> NBA quotes).

I received the nickname playing at the legendary EBC Rucker Park a few years back.  Growing up in Cleveland it was always a dream of mine to play in a game there.  I knew the history and all the NBA greats and past NYC basketball legends who have graced the famous court in Harlem.  I was playing for a team called "Black Wall Street" and got the opportunity to let it fly.  After a few jump shots, some nice drives to the basket and pouring it in from NBA range and 35 points later...the Rucker Emcee's Hannibal "The Most Electrifying One" and EJ "The Major Johnson" dubbed me the nickname Smokin' Aces..From that day on the name has traveled with me wherever I go.”

Flash: What is your trademark/favorite move when you play?
Smokin’ Aces: “I have a couple moves I go to - my off-the-dribble jumper is one of them from both inside and outside the 3 point line, and a series of moves off-the-dribble (whether it be a crossover or between-the-legs crossover to create space/to create for my teammates) to get to the basket or knocking down the jumper.

Flash: Tell me more about your playing style – what sets you apart from the rest of the pack?
Smokin’ Aces: “What separates me from others is my overall court awareness and smarts about the game.  I can run a team, set others up or score when called upon.  I'm a knock-down shooter and can shoot with the best of them.  Often people look at me as just a shooter because of how efficient I shoot the rock, but in all actuality I'm a true PG.

Flash: Who are your influences in playing basketball?
Smokin’ Aces: “I've always tried to model my game after guys like Mark Price, Steve Nash.  A wiseman once told me “if you can shoot the ball and handle it well…it's going to take you places!”  So I always worked daily on my ball-handling skills, jump shot and defense - I didn't want to be labeled as one-dimensional.  That work ethic, grit, and determination has enabled me to get to this point in my career.

Smokin' Aces with AND1 Live players (Werm, Easy J, etc.)

Flash: How and when did you get to be associated with AND1?
Smokin’ Aces: “After leading the Rucker in scoring in summer 2012, later that fall/winter that's when I met Dexter (Gordon) and from there we sat down, had a few meetings with Rob (Purvy – AND1 President), and got to talking about being involved with the AND1 Live Tour and also got the talks going regarding the shoe with AND1.  I have a lot of respect for Rob, Dexter, and Linda (Hill) - they all believed in me as a basketball player but more importantly as a person.  They are family!

Sneak(er) preview of BK's exclusive AND1 player exclusives 
plus custom Rucker Park scoring champ socks.


Continuation of this article will be posted next week.  For now, check out his in-game highlights at the world-famous Rucker Park via the Youtube video posted below.  Smokin’ Aces will be talking about his NBA experiences, favorite AND1 pair, and more in Part 2.  Stay tuned, AND Juans!

(click to play)

Smokin' Aces racing upcourt while playing in the 
Entertainers Basketball Classic in Rucker Park.

BK being featured in Sports Illustrated China edition while wearing AND1 gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment