Friday, July 26, 2013

WERM got hopz

[Streetball’s Finest  – 7.26.13] – WERM got hopz

Inks: FLASH aka g_sk1lls 
Images: Brandon Lacue (via email and Facebook)

This month’s “Streetball’s Finest” feature shifts the spotlight to one of the world’s best dunkers and renowned high-flyer – Brandon Lacue aka WERM.

One of the most popular players on the AND1 Mixtape / AND1 Live Tour, the Franklin park, Florida native quips “I’m the type of player that brings excitement to the game.”  He is known for his high-flying dunks and thunderous jams.

Brandon has won the Sprite Slam Dunk Competition four (4) times and speaks about his monicker “I got it (my nickname) by the way I play.  I felt nothing could stop me and I could do anything in the air.”

                               Check out a Youtube clip of Werm below (click to play):

Werm was gracious enough to answer my questions that I sent via his email despite his busy schedule and tours (he routinely flies all over the world for his AND1 Live commitments and basketball guestings/shows).  Here’s what he has got to share:

Flash: Who is Werm as a baller / dunker?
Werm: “My dunking style is the same as Guy Dupuy (Easy J) but we do a couple of different dunks that the crowd loves.  What sets me apart though is that I show so much style and I jump so high.  People be like “what earth are you from”!  I think it’s the way I dunk the ball - I never dunk hard and I never hang on the rim.”

Flash: What is your trademark/favorite move or dunk when you play?
Werm: “My trademark is my hair - everybody knows me by my hair.  My favorite dunk is “The Scoop” because I’m like the only person that does that dunk.  I made it up in New York with SpecialFX (Ryan Williams) and Elevator (Quentin Slaughter).

Flash: Who are your influences in playing basketball?
Werm: “My cousin JR is my influence because he was going to be a McDonalds All-American in high school but he ended up going to jail for murder - so I told and promised him that I would be a good role model for our family and my kids.

Check out a Youtube clip of Werm below (click to play):

Flash: If you actually had to pay to watch one (1) streetballer play, who would that be and why?
Werm: “I would pay to watch ALIMOE because I never saw him in person and he was like the first person I heard about when I was in high school.

Flash: Name some of the most memorable NBA players that you’ve played with or against.
Werm: “I have played with so many people but the ones that was cool and that gave me advice were Gary Payton, Nick Van Exel, Horace Grant, and Dennis “The Worm” Rodman - but Rafer Alston (aka Skip To My Lou) told me everything about staying humble and don’t go down the wrong path.

Flash: How does it feel to tour around the world and play for AND1 Live?  Any plans of visiting the Philippines soon?
Werm: “It feels great to travel with AND1 Live, I get to show my talent and the fans love me because of what I do.  I really do want to come to the Philippines like ASAP but I have to wait until they call me to go over there.

                  Check out a Youtube clip of Werm below (click to play):

Flash: What was the best AND1 pair you've ever hooped in? Any fond memories of that shoe?
Werm: “The best pair of And1s was the grey pair back in 2004 - And1 Open Run (in Miami). I wish i could get them back.  The next best pair is my shoes with And1 - the Guardian Mids.

You can catch Werm online by following him in Twitter and Instagram (@wermgothopz, same user profile names), or thru his Facebook account (Facebook.com/wermgothopz).  He also has a Youtube channel: Youtube.com/werm06 or wermgothopz.

For his parting words, here’s what he has to say for his fans: To all my fans worldwide I just want to say thank you for watching me grow, and for supporting and watching my videos – there are more to come.  If you play any sport, I just want to tell you to not give up - if you love it, stay with it.  Its nothing like playing the sport you love.”

                                Check out a Youtube clip of Werm below (click to play):


AND1 Ph will continue to feature other local and international streetball players, so feel free to send an email to and1pinas@gmail.com for your suggestions on who you want to be seen here next.  Please check out and LIKE our Facebook fanpage (www.facebook.com/and1ph) and follow us on Twitter (@and1ph) for more news, spotlights, and the latest updates about the And1 brand in the Philippines.  And that’s the 411, AND Juan!


No comments:

Post a Comment