Friday, October 12, 2012

Mae Escobar: Lingerie Basketball’s Brown Sugar (Part 1 of 2)

[Streetball’s Finest  –  10.12.12] – Mae Escobar: Lingerie Basketball’s Brown Sugar (Part 1 of 2)

Inks: FLASH aka g_sk1lls 
Images: Mae Escobar (via Facebook and e-mail)


This month’s edition of Streetball’s Finest (which spotlights some of the best ballers worldwide) marks the first time that we get to feature a female baller.  It’s not very often that we get to show love to our Pinay hoopsters, and everybody really needs to be aware that basketball is indeed a sport for everyone, not just the fellas.


 
Now a couple of months ago, I posted an article about AND1 being a major sponsor of the 2nd season of the Lingerie Basketball League out in the City of Angels (click HERE for the write-up) & made mention of Pinay representation in the LBL.  One of them, Melissa Ann “Mae” Escobar, willingly obliged to be interviewed by AND1 Ph.  Currently the team captain of the LA Starlets (one of four teams in the LBL), this sweet-shooting two-guard was born in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada to Filipino parents.

When not hooping, she works in the hospitality industry and has since moved to the US from Canada when she turned 16.  She has these to say about her basketball roots, hoop experience, and love for the game:

Flash: How young were you when you first started with basketball?
Mae:I was pretty young when I started. My dad actually played and joined a lot of adult basketball leagues that he would always take me to since I was a baby. When I got little bit bigger, I would shoot around on the side during his practices and games. When I was in elementary school, he put me in this Filipino basketball organization league with boys and girls teams in Canada called FILCANSA (Filipino Canadian Sports Association – http://filcansa.org/). When I played in the league he noticed I had talent so he started to teach and work with me.

Young Mae with her dad - basketball roots run deep in her family.

Flash: What are some of the tournaments/leagues/events that you have participated in aside from the LBL?
Mae:I have been playing basketball almost all my life. In Canada I played in a Filipino league and travel ball that was associated with the Filcansa organization.
I’ve joined countless adult leagues, played in the Nike Say No league during college, and the Drew Leagues which consists of retired overseas, current overseas and college athletes.  Recently, I was a part of the Womens national team, Perlas ng Pilipinas, this past summer.”

Hooping back in 12th grade.

Flash: What do you think of our local talent (Pinay basketball players)?
Mae:Playing over there with the Women's National Team was such a great experience. They have helped my game and confidence level so much. When I first got there I was the 3rd tallest player on my team, and I'm only 5'9. I regularly play shooting guard so taking on and learning a post position was really difficult. But my team was really helpful and beat me up every day at practice until I got it down. Even though my team was vertically challenged, these women were so fast and talented. They have the biggest hearts and play with so much passion. They are also really physical and so strong, I've came out of many practices with so many bruises it looked like i got hit by a car.


Flash: Any plans of visiting the Philippines?
Mae:I really enjoyed my time this past summer in the PI. The hospitality of the people and the weather is amazing and so welcoming.  So I can’t wait and would love to come back. Hopefully the LBL will be there soon. *smiles*

Continuation of this article will be posted on October 15.  More about Mae and her LBL experience in Part 2.  Stay tuned!



[UPDATE - 10.15.12] - Click HERE to read part 2 of this article.

Mae with Perlas ng Pilipinas and the Jakarta Women's Basketball Team.

Hanging out with her Perlas teammates.

No comments:

Post a Comment